Saturday, 7 February 2009

Typographic layout

Finally, typographic layout has been included into xkeyboard-config release 1.5 that is available in rawhide now. It enables access to symbols like «, », ©, ≠, —, … from keyboard which is very convenient for typing web texts.

Unfortunately, something makes it non-working when selecting from gnome keyboard config dialog. So, I had to add typo typo:2 to xkb_symbols from setxkbmap -print output and put call of setxkbmap in autostartup programs. Resulting command line is:
$ setxkbmap -symbols 'pc+us+ru(typewriter):2+inet(evdev)+group(shifts_toggle)+level3(ralt_switch)+typo+typo:2'

Yay! I have typographic symbols in both English and Russian layouts switched with AltGr.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

BTW, you probably want to look at the fr(oss) layout too, since it made available typographic symbols for fr users for quite a long time

Katie Doyle said...

Hey! Keep it up your work. Your blog and post are very informative. Very clear easy to understand text I am enjoying your post. Please take a look at my dissertation proposal site and advise me further improvement.

Dissertation Help said...

There are thousands of blogs and websites providing the same nature of information again and again, I guess they copy it from one another. Anyhow, the piece of information you have provided is something different and unique. Keep up the good work.

Logo design help

Judith Walton said...

Almost every article I come across has the almost same piece of information, but you provide with variation. That is what I like about your blog. Keep it up, pal!

company logo designers

Anonymous said...

You might like to try the following link. It provides guidance, with worked examples, on understanding what the examiner seeks and writing in an academic manner. If in doubt can always ask tutors whether it's advice applies in your discipline and institution.
Essay

Taylornuzt said...

Almost every article I come across has the almost same piece of information, but you provide with variation. That is what I like about your blog. Keep it up, pal! company logo designers

Anonymous said...

I tried your example on Fedora 21, it really added typographic symbols, but now I'm not able to switch between the languages (EN←→RU), how can I fix it?